Michalis heads the Firm’s Corporate Department where he, inter alia, oversees the Firm’s provision of corporate and trustee services. Michalis obtained his LLB from the University of Warwick and his LLM from University College London (UCL). Having successfully completed the Bar Vocational Course, Michalis became a Barrister-at-Law and in 2004 he was also admitted to the Cyprus Bar. Since then, Michalis has been actively involved in some of the most notable transactions in Cyprus, including mergers & acquisitions, bond issuances, schemes of arrangement, sales of non-performing loan portfolios, listings and others.
Michalis has extensive experience in advising clients on all aspects of Corporate Law. He is a solid practitioner with an excellent reputation. He is considered as being one of the leading Cypriot lawyers in his field, exhibiting a business-friendly, hands-on and proactive approach. Some of his notable engagements in the recent past include: - Led the Firm’s team which provided advice and assistance to a Cypriot credit institution in implementing a scheme of arrangement with its shareholders which resulted in the delisting of its shares from the Cyprus Stock Exchange (CSE) and the Athens Stock Exchange and the simultaneous listing of the shares in its holding company at the London Stock Exchange (LSE) and the CSE.
The aforementioned dual listing was the first dual listing of shares in the CSE and the LSE. - Led the Firm’s team which provided advice and assistance to a Cypriot credit institution in its consummation of the transfer of its entire NPL portfolio of c. EUR 165 million net book value to its sister company (by way of a demerger), through the implementation of a scheme of arrangement sanctioned by the Court.
- Advised and assisted (alongside other members of the Firm) a Cypriot credit institution in its restructuring of a series of loans with clients thereof having a nominal value exceeding EUR 200 million.
- Advised and assisted (alongside other members of the Firm) a Cypriot credit institution in the creation of a variable capital investment company under the provisions of the Alternative Investment Fund Law of 2014 to which real estate assets of c. EUR 180 million were contributed and which was subsequently sold to investors.
- Advised and assisted (alongside other members of the Firm) a Cypriot credit institution in restructuring its share capital following the economic crisis of 2013 and in implementing a capital raise of c. EUR 1 billion alongside the re- listing of its shares at the Cyprus Stock Exchange and the Athens Stock Exchange.
- Led the Firm’s team which provided advice and assistance for the conversion of an investment company listed on the Cyprus Stock Exchange into an Undertaking for Collective Investments in Transferable Securities (UCITS) fund, through the implementation of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised and assisted a Cypriot credit institution in an M&A transaction concerning the sale of shares in a major Cypriot insurance company for a consideration exceeding EUR 90 million. Michalis is fluent in Greek and English.